Monday, May 17, 2010

RECIPE - Homemade Chicken Stock

Homemade Chicken Stock

Cans of broth and bases are fine, but nothing beats homemade chicken stock

I usually make chicken stock after I roast a whole chicken. After I carve the meat off the chicken for our dinner (we generally still have plenty of dark meat on the bone) I taked everything that is left and use that for my stock. If I dont have a whole chicken carcas, I use 4 chicken thighs.

Ingredients
1 - left over whole chicken or 4 chicken thighs
(if I use the fresh thighs I will brown them in a skillet first)
1 - yellow onion cut into large chunks
2 - carrots cut into large chunks
3 - celery stalks cut into large chunks
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of dried parsley
1 - bay leaf
1 - tablespoon of coarse ground pepper
1 - teaspoon of sea salt
1-1/2 gallon of water

Process
combine all ingredients and bring to a rolling boil
then reduce heat and simmer for 2-4 hours
When it taste right - take it off the heat and strain.
Use or freeze in a freezer safe container.

No comments:

Post a Comment