Sunday, July 24, 2011

Norwegian Krumkake






Norwegian Krumkake is a thin Norwegian waffle cookie that is often rolled in to a cone and filled with cream or fruit. It is popular any time of the year, but it is most traditionally known as a Christmas dish. These cookies are not only popular in Norway, but around the world where Norwegians have migrated to.

In Norway, krum means “bent,” while kake means “cake.” So I made a bent cake! Even though it is more of a cookie or crisp waffle.

Norwegian Krumkake is made in a decorative two-sided iron griddle. I got mine from NordicWare, and ordered it right off of their website www.nordicware.com

Now there are a ton of varied recipes online, but I used the one that came with my griddle. They turned out great!

Norwegian Krumkake Recipe

INGREDIENTS

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
½ cup softened butter
1 teaspoon of cardamom
1-1/2 cup flour
1 scant cup of milk

PROCESS
Beat eggs well, add sugar, butter and cardamom,
Beat well
Then add milk and flour alternating and beat until smooth
Heat Griddle over medium heat on your stovetop
Add about 1 Tablespoon of batter to hot griddle and close.
Hold griddle closed for about 10-18 seconds
Then flip griddle over
Remove from griddle after a golden brown is achieved.
Roll with your rolling cone and let cool.
Fill or not fill – it’s up you!

NOTE: I subbed Vanilla for cardamom and only made a ½ batch for my first attempt.

My family absolutely loved this! Your will too!

Get your Griddle at
NordicWare
www.nordicware.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh.. this is too tasty. Tried those once while a norwegian friend was over at my house. Tried to make her to give me the recipe, but alas. I hope yours is as good (or the other way around!) Thanks a whole lot!

    ___
    call Nepal

    ReplyDelete